Monday, August 3, 2009

Creamed Peas, Carrots, and Potatoes

We plant this...


To get this...



To make this!



I love love love this dish! It always reminds me of summer and why I plant a garden. I never make this unless I can have fresh baby potatoes, peas, and carrots from our garden. It just doesn't taste the same with store bought vegetables. I made a big pot of this for Sunday dinner and I was in heaven.

New potatoes
New carrots
New peas
1 stick butter
8 T. flour
Milk
Salt and pepper

Cut and cook potatoes until just about done. Add the carrots. When carrots are just about done, add the peas. Drain and set aside. In the same pan, add the butter and flour. Melt together and cook until it has a nutty smell. Add the milk a little at a time so you can see how thick it will be. Keep adding milk until your desired thickness. Add salt and pepper and then the vegetables. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite too! I remember my Grandparents eating this every single day in August every year. I added too much pepper the 1st time this year. So I guess I better try again!! Yum Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I was literally just thinking of this meal. My mom used to make it with Grandpa's veggies. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that this is a Danish dish call Rooskansmous (this may not be spelled correctly! My Grandma used to make this when the garden vegetables were ready. Yum!

    ReplyDelete