Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pasta with Italian Turkey Sausage, Peppers, and Kale



This dish was awesome.  I got the recipe from Gina's Skinny Recipe.  I changed it a bit for my taste and what I could find in my stores.    I ate a lot of it, but it was healthier than other alternatives so I didn't feel quite so guilty.

12 oz whole wheat penne pasta 
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped  (I used a roasted red pepper)
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
1 bunch of kale, slice
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Rinse kale and  tear into bite sized pieces.  Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water.  Reserve 1 cup water before draining.  While pasta water boils, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil; when hot add onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.   Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.  Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.  Add kale, cover and cook 2 minutes; remove the cover, stir and cook about 3 more minutes or until wilted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.  Add cooked pasta, red pepper flakes, reserved water and Parmigiano Reggiano, toss well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment