Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lentil Tacos


Okay, I don't know if anyone else feels the same way I do, but lentils have intimidated me for awhile.  I have a bunch of bags of these things in my food storage, but I have never attempted to use them because I didn't know what to do with them.  Now I do.    These tacos were great.  We didn't miss the meat and my kids (minus one legume hating child) ate these up.  This recipe could be made into macho nachos or any other variation.

From Healthy Mom's Kitchen

Step 1

1 small Onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
 
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender.
 
Step 2
 
1 cup Dried Lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
2 teaspoons Cumin
1 teaspoon Oregano
2 1⁄2 cups Chicken Broth
 
Add the lentils and spices; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender (depending on the lentils you use, this could take longer - some may choose to soak their lentils in water for a few hours before making this recipe. I used red lentils and the time was fine for me). Uncover and cook for a few more minutes until the mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly.
 
Make tacos, taco salad, or any variation you like with all your favorite taco toppings (tomatoes, avocados, cheese, etc...)

No comments:

Post a Comment