Friday, February 4, 2011

Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup

We generally aren't big soup eaters at our house.  I love soup, but my kids tend to not eat soups well.  This last week when the temperature didn't get above zero, I decided to make soup.  I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and thought it looked easy and good.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It was great.  My kids of course looked at it and claimed they didn't like it, but to my surprise, they ate it!

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
1 whole Red Pepper Chopped
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 pinch Of Cayenne Pepper
2-3 whole Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
⅓ cups Enchilada Sauce
¼ cups Sour Cream
1 can Green Chilis (4oz)

In a large pot, add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sprinkle in cumin and cayenne and stir. Add shredded chicken.  Pour in chicken stock, chilis and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes (or longer if you want). Right before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream, lime, and cilantro.

**I also added salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment